We’re all on the quest to look and feel our most youthful and fresh—and in the beauty world, there are many creams, facials, and procedures to aid us on this mission. But something as simple as the way you apply your makeup can also have a great effect on how young (or old) you look, and sometimes, it’s a very significant effect.
Here are a few makeup tricks which create a younger look:
1. Many women end up looking like they are wearing a mask because their foundation does not match their face and neck. When you go too light it makes your skin appear flat and lifeless. Instead of natural, it will look like the makeup is just sitting on your skin, which can add years to your face. But if you go too dark, you are not highlighting your features, but dragging them down and adding a dullness and heaviness that is just as ageing. In order to get the right colour, when testing out a foundation, do not blend it in too much. Simply tap it on your face from the top of your cheekbone to the bottom of your jawline and try to not go lighter or darker than your actual skin. If you are tan on your neck and body, you can bring that colour into your face with a bronzer, without having to use a foundation that’s too light. The goal is to connect your skin by blending it evenly across. Also your hands shouldn’t look paler or darker.
2. As you age, you lose definition in your lips, so to appear more youthful, you’ll want to wear a lipstick that adds fullness. A dark colour does just the opposite, making your lips look smaller, less plump, and less highlighted. Instead, choose something in a mauve or pink tone. Adding a layer of gloss is helpful as well. Many women feel like they are too old to wear lip gloss, but a shiny finish will actually add a youthful plumpness. But if you decide to go dark and are concerned about looking older, stay away from something with a heavier texture or matte finish because it will stay flat on your lips. Opt for a sheer and hydrating formula or a lip stain.
3. Eye makeup for looking younger. So many women I talk to say ”I only line the bottom” and when I ask them why, they say because ”It’s easier.’’ Lining on top can very well be done with a black or brown eye shadow and a smudge brush. When applying eyeliner, try to get the product as close to your lash line as possible, so it appears to be an extension of your eyelashes. Though it may be easier to apply eyeliner on the bottom and mostly water line, doing so will drag your features down and make your eyes appear smaller and your overall appearance seem older. Applying eyeliner on the top as well, will open your eyes up and brighten your face. But be sure not to make the liner too thick, which can also be ageing. Lining the lower lash line without going all the way in with lots of mascara is also something that would work.
4. Many women do not wear a shade of blush that adds youthfulness to their face. Some choose a brown colour because they think they are adding definition and contouring, but it ends up looking muddy, dull, and like the makeup is just sitting on your skin. If not applied or blended well the face can also look patchy. Other women often choose a product that is too soft in colour, which can wash you out and age you as well. Go for a shade that looks like a natural blush on your own skin tone. A cream blush on is also another amazing way to make your face look younger and dewy. When applying, start at the height of the apple of your cheek and blend it up and back taking it up to your temple area. Some people apply blush on the bottom of the cheekbone, but you want to place it higher to define and lift your features.
5. As you get older, your eyebrows get thinner, or simply from years of over-plucking, they just don’t grow back. Not filling them in with a pencil or brow powder can leave you washed out and looking older, while a full brow will lift the face, define your features, and create an overall youthful appearance. Choose a shade that matches the hair colour of your eyebrows.
6. Light eye makeup with lots of mascara also gives the face a younger look. The heavier your eye makeup and foundation the older the look. Finding ways to highlight your features with proper contouring with the right product with a mascara look and natural blush can make a face look much younger.
For following my techniques of daily makeup application, check out my tutorial videos. Subscribe to the Makeover Madness Youtube channel and check out some game changing daily makeup tips.