1. One always follows certain types of rules in life. The same goes for makeup too. But what are makeup rules? There are no rules about what you choose to wear, but there are rules on how to apply makeup, what to use, etc.
2. Foundation and powder tone should correspond to your natural skin tone. Match your foundation to your neck or arms. Foundation of any kind is not meant to make you look fairer. Instead, it is meant to even out your skin colour so that you have a smooth surface to work on.
3. Moisten your skin before going to bed and before you apply makeup. Moistening is a pledge for skin beauty. Cosmetics fall on dewy skin in a better way, and moisturising before going to bed helps smoothening the skin, keeping its elasticity and health intact.
4. Do not use the same mascara for more than 3 months. During these 3 months, mascara accumulates huge quantities of microbes and dries up substantially. To avoid microbes getting into your mascara, do not make “up-and-down” motions with the brush in the tube. This is how most people “refresh” mascara. However this also pushes microbes inside and pumps air into the tube, causing the mascara to dry up sooner. Instead, turn the brush in the tube several times to scoop more mascara, and then take the brush out.
5. Use eye-liner or pencil sparingly. Heavily penciled eyes look unnatural. If you cannot draw a straight line with a firm hand, then you probably should reduce eye-liner usage to a minimum. Use eye-pencil and eye shadow like I do most of the time by smudging them with a smudge brush.
6. Do not forget moistening lips constantly. There is nothing better, than a fruity kiss with tempting soft lips. In cold weather you should definitely use lip balm to prevent peeling and dryness. Moistening will also make it easier for you to apply lipstick especially matte ones.
7. Remember to remove your make-up before going to bed. Not doing so causes your skin to age faster. Makeup dries up your skin. Eye cosmetics weigh eyelids down, causing stys as well as premature wrinkling.
8. Do not use eye shadows that match exactly with the colours of your clothes. This “matching-matching” look is a no-no. However if you want to maintain the same colour palette across your clothes and eye shadows then use those shades of eye shadow that are darker or paler than your clothes. I personally prefer pairing neutral eyes with brightly coloured clothes or brightly coloured eyes with neutral clothes.
9. Do not use blusher that is more than two tones darker your natural face colour. Unless you’re performing in a circus. Apply the blush on right above the contour area taking it up to your temple. Avoid the part directly under your eyes. See my videos to learn how to do this.
10. Blend, blend, then blend some more. This makes your makeup look natural. Sharp and edgy lines should be used only if you want a loud and dramatic look. Use the correct brushes for blending eye shadows and blush on as shown in my videos.
11. Makeup should only be applied on a freshly washed and moisturised face.
12. Make sure you have bright. even lights around your mirror. Frosted bulbs are the best form of lighting for applying makeup. Tube lights should never be used as they distort the real colours.
13. Know your face. Hide the flaws and highlight your good features.
So my Ladies…enjoy the grooming. Wax, thread, get pedicures and manicures every month! Pamper yourselves. It will make a huge difference to your life.